Live Chat
0203 829 3875
Mon-Fri 8am-8pm & Sat 9am-5pm

What Will My EHIC cover me for in Greece?

UK residents who carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are entitled to reduced-cost or free medical treatment from state healthcare providers in any European Economic Area (EEA) country and Switzerland. A UK resident carrying the EHIC card will have access to the same state-provided healthcare as a resident of the country they are visiting. However, many countries expect the patient to pay towards their treatment, and even with an EHIC, a UK resident might be expected to do the same. They may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when they return UK if they are not able to do so in the other country.   Each EEA country’s health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS, so it is worth checking the rules in the country you are travelling to.

This piece is looking at the cover provided under EHIC in Greece, we have written previous bogs about the cover your EHIC will give you in France, Spain and the CanaryIslands.

If you need medical attention in Greece, you should try to consult an IKA –ETAM doctor or dentist in order to receive treatment for free or at a reduced cost. However, ensure you present your EHIC before you receive treatment or as soon as possible afterward, but this must be within 24 hours.

You may also consult a private doctor or dentist but you will have to present your EHIC and pay all charges up front. You can then claim back the charges later from the Greek authorities.   If you do have medical conditions it is best to use a specialist in travel insurance with pre existing medical conditions, like Insurancewith. They have the experience to properly assess your condition and give you advice about travelling with medical conditions.


Share this page:
InsuranceWith Awards
Get a Quote Retrieve a Quote